March 14, 2018

Cataloging Catalogs: Ward's Fall/Winter 1947-1948, Dresses!


My favorite pages in Ward's catalogs are the still the pages and pages of dresses. I find them so inspiring for dreaming up future sewing projects! Even if sewing has been on the back burner for me so far this year, as soon as I'm done with my current writing project I can't wait to dive back in, so some inspiration is always helpful!

These dresses I have to share with you today from the 1947/1948 Fall/Winter Montgomery Wards catalog are truly swoon worthy. Whether featuring sequin embellishments for a sparking cocktail hour, or made from sturdier fabrics in simpler silhouettes for versatile day wear, I'd certainly love to have one of each of these in my closet! Looking at these pages I can't help but think "forties fashion is just the best!!!" on repeat in my head. I hope all of you enjoy these images too, as usual fee free to pin and share them to your hearts desire ;)



















13 comments:

  1. So stunning! I would love to wear any of these, but I really love the different green dresses. I also love the gray ones with the brown leather belts - I'll have to try that look sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How the heck did they conserve fabric back in those days when there's so much damned fabulousness going on?! >:( Reminding me I need to do more pleating in my garments. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah this is post war exuberance at its best, all the fabric, bring it on!

      Delete
  3. These are great! Wish they still made dresses like these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never get over the beautiful details and unusual cuts on dresses like these - a far cry from so many modern dresses, designed in as few pieces using as few unusual seams as possible. Even the simplest ones have a little touch here or there to make them distinctive. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! That's why looking at these catalogs really makes me want to step up my sewing game!

      Delete
  5. Frankly I would quite happily own to lot! Amazing, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I definitely need a "rippling, back-dipping peplum" dress made out of a fine wool suiting. Can't wait to make one! Thanks for the eye candy and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...